The first European settlers arrived in the mid-19th Century. The Ireland family took up an estate on the south side of the lake and built a timber mill. A bridge was first constructed across the estuary in 1881. A primary school opened in 1876 and operated until 1934. By the 1920s, Burrill Lake had earned a reputation as a holiday destination, becoming popular with campers and fisherman. This in turn led to growth in the town and the construction of new amenities. By the 1930s, a mail service was in place, and by 1946, an open-air theatre was operating in the town.
Burrill Lake Community Hall – Then and Now
The now Burrill Lake Community Hall started life as St Michael & All Angels Church of England in 1952. The Reverend Charles Sherlock was the Minister of the Parish. The building of the Church saw many working bees over many weekends. Burrill Lake was a small fishing village and holiday destination, well known for its quirky outdoor cinema.
Prior to the building of the church, services were held in the picture shown. Lake Burrill and District Progress Association first met on 30 April 1969 in the Buffalo Lodge Hall which was on the corner of Princess Street and Commonwealth Avenue. In 1970, the Association requested that Council should purchase Buffalo Hall for local community use.
Burrill Lake Community Hall then
Unfortunately, the Council refused and the Hall was sold at the end of 1971 into private ownership. Burrill Lake Theatre was also used for the Progress Association Meetings. In 1986, the Association continually urged the Council to acquire ownership of the former Anglican Church in Princess Street. This finally became a reality in September 1987. The Hall was then and is now, a great space for local events.
It is great to see this building being used again to worship God. The South Coast Presbyterian Church, small as it is, meets there every Sunday at 10.00am. We would love for you to join us sometime. Please visit our website if you would like to know more about us at www.southcoastpresbyterianchurch.com.au
The first inhabitants and traditional land owners of the area surrounding Burrill Lake were the Murramarang indigenous people. The area is regarded as extremely significant archaeological site in terms of the age of some artefacts discovered nearby.
In 1931, members of the Anthropological Society of New South Wales excavated an Aboriginal rock shelter believed to be in excess of 20,000 years old, the oldest known site on the Australian East Coast.